Wednesday 1 May 2013

Final Piece Plan


Aim: To create a happening, of a human wish tree. I would hope to build up to the event through marketing it effectively, leading to lots of people coming to my event. I will ask people to write and place wishes on my tree which I will be a part of.

What I will achieve over my three day exam;

Day One:

  • Paint or cover two boards in black emulation paint or fabric 
  • Start to build the tree around a wooden chair 
  • Design the posters and create other ways of getting people interested 
  • Start to put up posters and create word of mouth

Day Two

  • Keep building up complain, through posters and invitations
  • Finish building tree/dress/chair
  • Make tags for wishes
  • Plan how people will come in and wish
  • Record peoples voices saying 'I wish...' to play on day three
  • Do test shots and plan how to set up camera

Day Three

  • Finish setting up how people will come in 
  • Make more tags for wishes 
  • Doing the happening 
  • Watch and edit film 


Even through my happening is over, I would hope that wish could be forever adding to the tree, I could make this happen by

  • Leave empty tags by the tree
  • Giving out tags in public spaces
  • Giving empty tags to tutor groups 
  • Leaving a box of empty tags in the staff room
  • Leave a box of empty tags in social spaces 

Day One,

I put up the boards and decided to drape them with black fabric which was pleated. I decide to do this as it added a theatrical element to my more and made it seem more like a performance. I then found the chair in which I wanted to uses and started to build the tree around it. I wanted to keep all the colours very natural and earthy. I also knew it was very important to start the marketing for the happening so that there was a lot of word of mouth and well as interesting and exciting forms of invitations. I decided to create a serious of posters, which were very simple and all inviting people to come and make wishes. At lunch time on day one, I ran around the school and covered it in posters advertising my happening so that people would come in from the break and be over wheled with these posters leading them to wonder what was going to happen. I also created extremely small and detailed inversions like Gillian Wearing does and taped them in various places around the school, this lead to a senses of mystery and intrigue around the happening. I also created very detailed personal invitations to give to some people and teachers. This all created a buzz around the happening and lead to word of mouth. 

Day Two, 
Because of my strong forces on marketing on day one I still have a lot of building of the tree and dress to do on day two. However I also wanted to keep the marketing strong so that a lot of people would come to the happening. I eventually finished building the tree around the chair with willow sticks and wire, I wanted to make sure there was a lot of hanging points for people to hang their wishes on. Because I did not know how many people where going to come, I made loads of wish tags for people to write on. I also wanted to do test shots for the film as the video of the happening was really important to me. From doing the test shots and starting to think about how I would set the room out, I really wanted there to be a record of people says 'If I had one wish...' playing in the background so that hopefully this would lead people to come up with the idea of what they want to wish for quickly and would not be standing around holding people up. I also wanted to keep the marketing going, so I put a small poster in every red folder in the school so all the tutor groups would know.

Day Three, 
How everything was layed out was very important, so that people were not queueing, holding up or waiting too long to tie their wishes on. This is why I decide to create an L shape with the tables this was for two main reasons. Firstly that people would walk in and follow the tables this created a flow of people and not build up or queue. Secondly it framed myself sitting in the chair extremely well makes it seem like more of a performance and sceptical. This worked very effectively. I was overwhelmed with the amount of people that turned up and supported my work. After the happening I watch the footage back and began to plan and edit the footage to make a supporting film to my tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment