Tuesday 26 March 2013

Yoko Ono Cut Piece Responce


After looking a Yoko Ono's work I wanted to explore similar themes to what she did cut piece. Ono invited members of the audience to come and cut pieces of her dress off, she was aiming to explore feminism in a way which people felt comfortable with. Ono was the core of the interaction and lead people to interact. I tried to explores this as well.

By sitting in a dress I made out of white fabric, I invited people to draw and write on, by simpling saying 'Hello, would you like to write on my dress?'



Some people asked me questions about what I was doing,
Some people asked what to write,
Some people simply wrote what they wanted and walked off,
Some people talked to each other but not me.

It was interesting to see how different people interacted differently and the things that they said. Like Ono I wanted people to feel comfortable but allow them to express them self with out feeling forced, allowing for a sense of freedom. Like Ono I did not have control on what people wrote on my dress and wearing, Ono did not have control over which pieces of her dress people cut off. I think this is an exciting concept and is something I would hope to be able to explore further.

However from this I have learn that the more people that come to a 'happening' the much more effective it would become. If I did this again I would ether, promote it more as an event and make sure more people knew about it. Or do it in a more public spaces, as the footfall would be greater, there is more of a chance of lots of random people stopping and writing on my dress I think would make it a lot more developed and more interesting to see the responses.

Depending on your compture the video may or not play, if it does not play please click on the link below.

http://vimeo.com/6577929

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pt27GavvKc




1 comment:

  1. Nice stuff. This was such a good experiment you should write more about it. What message was you trying to get across? And put the video up - those extra marks ;)

    ReplyDelete