Tuesday 30 April 2013

What is a Happening?


      ''A happening is a performance, event or situation meant to be considered art, usually as performance art. Happenings take place anywhere, and are often multi-disciplinary, with a nonlinear narrative and the active participation of the audience. Key elements of happenings are planned, but artists sometimes retain room for improvisation. This new media art aspect to happenings eliminates the boundary between the artwork and its viewer. Therefore the interactions between the audience and the artwork makes the audience, in a sense, part of the art.''

I have become interested in the idea of happenings as an element of my project and have begun to consider the posibility of exploring performance art, events or situations, which aim to break down barriers between myself artist and the audience. I like how they can potentially encourage the audience to be as much a part of the work as I would be, and that people could take part in interacting with and helping to make my work. Happenings generally do not have a plot like a play or a performance and are called this as the outcome is what 'happens' due to the way the audience interacted or not. It may be difficult to have less control over my work however I am excited about possible results.

http://www.tate.org.uk/context-comment/blogs/performance-art-101-happening-allan-kaprow
http://www.artlyst.com/articles/robert-r-mcelroy-documentary-photographer-dies

No comments:

Post a Comment