Tuesday 19 March 2013

Proposal and Brief


Proposal and Brief

I am aiming to explore social interaction. I’m interested in the way people interact in different places and different situations. This idea originated from my trip to New York. It was remarkable to see the lack of interact between people in social spaces. It is also interesting to see the amount of interaction in non-sociable spaces.  I decided to continue this by looking at social interaction in London; sitting in extremely busy places and documenting that way in which people interact.

I particularly wanted to look at the lack of interaction in the masses of people and how people live their lives so close to each other however have minimal interaction with each other. I am also interested in the little glimpse you get of peoples lives. It is also interesting how people interact differently in different spaces. I want to answer questions like, what leads people to interact? Why do people interact in particular spaces?  What parts of people lives do we see? What stops interaction? -and how can we change that?

My chosen pathway to explore is installation and film. I think this will be very effective in exploring my theme of social interaction. This is due to instillation art being as much about the interaction between the audience and the artwork itself. I also want to look into film as I think film is an extremely effective way of documenting work, especially instillation. I would like to try and combine them together in some way, possibly by creating an instillation and filming at the same time. I also like the idea of simultaniously filming the audience’s reaction and interaction to the piece. I think this will reflect my theme of social interaction extremely effectively.

I would hope to exhibit my work in a social space. For example if I do use film, I would like to play the film in a tube station. I think this would be interesting and then I could further look at social interaction. From playing the film I could see if this makes the public interact more and less, in a space when they’re in normal minimal interaction between people. Therefore I would like my client to be the general public, in the hope that I could create the opportunity for there to be interaction between the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment